Computer Aided Manufacturing
CAM software is something we use to drive the manufacturing process of creating your desired part.
This software takes your files from SOLIDWORKS and turns them into sheet metal parts; applying the correct shrinkages and creating the appropriate programmes needed to profile and press them into shape using computer numerical control (CNC) machines.
Our CAM software automates many tasks that were previously time-consuming and prone to errors, such as generating tool paths, optimising cutting strategies and programming complex machining operations. This leads to faster production times and reduced lead time, helping you to stay competitive in today’s fast-paced industrial landscape.
At Yorkshire Laser we also use software and equipment provided by two of computer-aided manufacturing major players – Bystronic (Swiss) and Amada (Japanese). Bysoft, Bybend, AP100, Product Designer, Dr Abe Blank and Dr Abe Bend are just some of the other CAM software packages that we utilise in the production of customers’ parts.
The benefits of comprehensive computer-aided manufacturing systems
The emergence of CAM tool systems working alongside computer-aided design (CAD) software has often been referred to as the third industrial revolution due to the increased levels of production and accuracy it creates in manufacturing processes. Combining CAD and CAM systems with CNC machining optimises processes, reduces raw material waste and minimises manual labour.
Other benefits of computer-aided manufacturing include:
- Direct link from unfolding to blank to punch or laser decreases programming time
- Computer-aided manufacturing software can easily handle intricate and complex part geometries that might be challenging for manual machine tool programming. This allows us to produce intricate designs that were previously difficult or impossible to achieve.
- Computer numerical control used to calculate unfold size
- Getting it right the first time reduces unnecessary cost
- Our computer-aided manufacturing software facilitates rapid prototyping and iterative design processes. Yorkshire Laser’s expert team can quickly create prototypes and assess design changes, accelerating the product development cycle.
- Manufacturer-specific software means all machine tools and features can be utilised
- CAM software and CAM tools facilitate rapid prototyping and iterative design processes. We can quickly create prototypes and assess design changes, accelerating your product development cycle.
- Parts are checked for range and manufacturing-fit before any material is cut or punched
- When a CAM system is used in conjunction with a CNC machine, the ‘art to part’ can be realised, dramatically reducing cost and lead times.
Yorkshire Laser’s computer-aided manufacturing software
Finally, Yorkshire Laser also makes use of a comprehensive MRP (Material Requirements Planning) software package. This computer software is used to control everything from estimates and quotes, all the way through the machining process, from material stocks, delivery notes and invoices.
A large amount of time and effort has been spent refining the efficiency of Yorkshire Laser’s computer models so that we can now accurately quote a lead time at the point of order.
We then stick to this date with well over 90% accuracy – a statistic that proves the production process products will provide you with the results just when you need them most! Our CAD/CAM design development service is reliable, pioneering, creative, cost-effective and tailored to provide a personal service.
Don’t take our word for it – read what one of our satisfied customers has to say:
“Yorkshire Laser & Fabrication have helped my business with non-stop co-operation from prototype to production.”
– Marcus Sheehan (managing director of a gaming equipment company)